20 January 2010

Life in List Form

1. I have not been good about writing on the blog. I am sure I have left my zero readers terribly disappointed. But here is a brief update, in blurbs

2. In good news, I finally got my mentor to settle on a graduation goal more specific than "one year from today". And the goal is...August! Eight little months away.

3. Holy shit I have a lot to do.

4. Good reads lately: I got SO MANY books for christmas. It was awesome. My latest reads have been Dreaming in Cuban and God of Small Things for sister book club. I loved Dreaming in Cuban, it was excellent. So exquisitely written, such eloquent descriptions of madness and sadness and exile and reunion. One of my favorites ever. God of Small things I read before, but I'm liking it a little more this time. I think when I read it for class in college I (naturally) skipped ahead to the end and was so weirded out by the creepy ending that I couldn't really get anything out of the rest of the book. This time, I'm trying to ignore the ending I know is coming and appreciate the book as it unfolds, and I'm doing a lot better. Roy's language is at times annoying, but mostly it is lovely. I'm working my way through a collection of short stories about Pakistan called In Other Rooms, Other Wonders. It's good, but depressing. None of the stories have happy endings. I can only read one or two at a time

5. I am trying to not bake as much as I used to, mostly because it is not healthy for me to eat the leftovers for breakfast for a week every time i get it into my head to make a cake. I share with neighbors and coworkers and friends, but I can never get rid of all of it, and I end up eating (really delicious) junk. That said, my efforts at resisting have not been terribly successful. It's the stress. Some people stress-eat, I stress bake. I made a delicious ricotta pound cake this weekend and am going to make this for my birthday next month, if I can wait that long.

No comments: