09 November 2009

Do not go to graduate school, children

I have been in graduate school approximately forever.

This is not true. I have been in graduate school for four and a half years. I will be done with my PhD sometime between five and five and a half years. This is entirely reasonable. I will graduate right on time. It just feels like it has been forever.

On average, I like the work I do. Intellectually, I love what I study and find it exciting and fascinating. On a day-to-day basis, some tasks are soul crushing, some are fun, most are routines I could do in my sleep. In theory, it is like any other job, really better than most jobs. But something clicked in my brain and I am Ready. To. Go. I have told everyone I know who will listen, and several people I don't know, including two (2) cashiers at the grocery store. I'm not sure when it became unbearable, or why. Right now, whenever someone asks me to do something that does not move me one day closer to finishing, I feel like there is only a thin veil of will power keeping me from devolving into a shrieking banshee.

More than anything, I feel like the rest of my life-whatever it holds-is somewhere else. Waiting for the next year while I slog through to the finish will take patience. That's something I have never had a lot of.

No comments: