24 November 2009

Pumpkin soup!


I made this a little while ago but only recently actually uploaded the pictures onto the computer. The recipe is slightly modified from one that I found on Dr. Isis the Scientist, but I can't find the original on her archives.

Crema de calabaza

1 leek, finely diced (dice it very well! If you do not, the bigger pieces are kinda gross. you could probably use a few green onions if you had issues with leeks)
2 cans pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 can coconut milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups chicken broth ( I used closer to four because that was how much was in the frozen tub I pulled out of the freezer. It was fine.)
1 tbsp coriander
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp turmeric (I used cumin. it was fine)

Saute the leek in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add the pumpkin, coconut cream, coconut milk, broth and spices. Turn down to medium low and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Top with cilantro-mint pesto (below) and crumbled cotija cheese.

Cilantro Mint pesto: Blend leaves from one big bunch of cilantro and one small bunch of mint with 1 tsp of ground ginger (I used 1 knob of fresh ginger) and 2 tbsp of olive oil.

No comments: